Who We Are
The Steve MacLean Public School Council is an advisory body consisting of parents, teacher representatives, and staff of Steve MacLean Public School as well as members of the community that the school serves. The Council meets seven times a year on the fourth Wednesday of September, October, November, January, February, April, and May. Council meetings take place at 6:30 PM in the school library. Meetings are open to the public and present a great opportunity to learn about the challenges and successes of our school, while ensuring your voice is heard on matters under Council’s consideration.
The primary purpose of our Council is to advise the principal, Cheryl Sevigny, and liaise with our Vice Principals, Rosalie Cross and May Tannous, as part of the implementation and maintenance of the school’s action plan. Cheryl in conjunction with Rosalie and Dorothy, will provide a monthly report/update for each meeting. This team seeks the advice of Council on a variety of matters and takes recommendations of Council into consideration as part of the continuous management of the school.
Council also conducts fundraising activities, special events, and programs to encourage parent volunteerism, all in the interest of improving pupil achievement and maximizing the benefit that our kids will enjoy from their years at Steve MacLean Public School.
For the 2017-2018 school year, our initiatives include the pizza program, dances, school travel planning and our school partnership plan.
- Improve pupil achievement, and to enhance the accountability of the education system to parents
- Review the school’s action plan for improvement, contribute to the plan by offering advice and actively soliciting feedback from the parent community
- Assist the principal in achieving the objectives set out in the school’s action plan for improvement
- Facilitate effective, two-way communication between the principal and the parent community
- Share information with parents and the community members, and seek their ideas and views about matters under consideration by Council
- Promote parental involvement in the school’s success in as many areas as possible to enrich the school’s environment for our students
- Take a lead role in celebrating the successes of the school
- Conduct fundraising initiatives to support the objectives of the school